Regional Certification Office
The Regional Certification Office provides useful information about the requirements for a New York State teaching certificate. The contents of this page include links to assist you with your certification needs, including requirements, workshops, presentations, and an overview of topics A-Z.
Working as a liaison with the NYS Education Department Office of Teaching Initiatives, the regional certification officer:
- Reviews certifications for the BOCES region
- Provides advice on acceptable coursework
- Offers expedited service for certification*
- Helps individuals obtain coaching licenses
*Applications and materials that are evaluated by the Regional Certification Office are given priority status in the NYS Education Department Office of Teaching. Please ensure all documents sent to the RCO Office contain your social security number and date of birth.
Every person seeking provisional or permanent certification through the NYS Education Department for administrative/supervisory service, teaching service or other school related service (physicians, school nurses, psychologists, dental hygienists) must successfully complete the following:
- A two-hour coursework or training regarding the identification and reporting of suspected Child Abuse and Maltreatment in accordance with Sections 3003(4) and 3004 of the Education Law. The course focuses on the legal obligations of mandated reporters in schools, as well as the process for reporting.
- A two-hour School Violence Prevention and Intervention (SAVE) in accordance with section 3004 of the Education Law. According to this law, this two-hour certification course is required for any individual applying for certification on or after 2/02/01 through the State Education Department.
- Effective December 31, 2013, all applicants for Certification are required to complete six clock hours of coursework or training in Dignity for All Students (DASA) in accordance with Article 2 Sections 10-18 of the Education Law. This training is available only from a provider approved by the New York State Education Department. Please email for application materials, procedures, evaluations, and informational memoranda.
Lisa Palmer, Assistant Director of HRS
firstname.lastname@example.org 1153 Burgoyne Ave., Suite 2
Fort Edward, NY 12828-1134
Phone: (518) 746-3370/ 581-3370
Fax: (518) 746-3308/ 581-3308
***Updates from the 3/13/17 BOR meeting:
- The issuance of a three year time extension to replace the two year one.
- Removal of the additional extreme hardship time extension except for citizenship and military.
- Two year extensions that expired 8/31/16 and 1/31/17 will automatically be extended for the additional year in TEACH.
- See this link for more details: http://www.highered.nysed.gov/tcert/certificate/timeext.html
- The elimination of the requirement that teacher candidates take and pass the ALST to obtain an initial teaching certificate.
- Pearson is handling all aspects of exam registration/cancellation/refunds.
- Applicants can check Pearson’s website for updates.
- The exam requirement will be modified in TEACH.