Welcome to our news section! You can view current and archived news items by using the drop-down menus below.
Search News by Keyword
Update on Water Testing
Thursday, September 20, 2018
With the start of the 2018-19 school year, District Superintendent of Schools James P. Dexter updated parents and staff about the WSWHE BOCES efforts relating the September 2016 law mandating that New York State public schools to conduct lead testing. Please see his letter in below.
Timeline at a glance:
- September 2016: Law enacted
- Fall 2016: WSWHE BOCES tested 437 sources of water from eight locations. No drinking fountains tested above the action level for schools. Eighty-seven faucets (these were sinks or hose bibs) tested higher than 15 parts per billion and were immediately taken off line.
- February 2018: WSWHE BOCES installed new faucets and hose bibs.
- March 2018: WSWHE BOCES conducted re-testing and found that 29 sources were above the action level.
- Spring 2018: WSWHE BOCES fully removed 12 sources from the facilities and installed new faucets in 17 sources.
- 2018-19: An approved laboratory will retest 17 new faucets during the school year.
Additional detailed information can be found in the Public Notice section our website.