2022-23 COVID-19 Back To School Operations Plan
The Washington-Saratoga-Warren-Hamilton-Essex (WSWHE) BOCES is following the current Centers for Disease Control (CDC) guidance to make decisions about the use of COVID-19 prevention strategies in order to ensure the safety of students and staff for in person instruction. The following information will be updated as CDC, state and local guidance is updated, as well as when the current status of the pandemic changes.
WSWHE BOCES classrooms in the component school districts will follow that district’s procedures. Students in our Early College and P-TECH programs will follow guidance issued by SUNY Adirondack as well as elements listed in this plan.
- All students served by WSWHE BOCES are expected to attend classes in-person every day, or according to the established schedule for the program or specific course.
- Students who may not be able to attend in person due to a specific medical need, will be provided with alternate assignments and work for the time they are not able to attend their program.
- Universal masking in school is not required at this time.
- Masks are no longer required to be worn on school buses.
- Students or staff who choose or need to wear a mask will not be stigmatized, bullied, or made to feel uncomfortable. Pursuant to the Dignity For All Students Act, students have the right to a school environment free from harassment and bullying.
- The CDC recommends that students or staff wear a mask during the following circumstances:
- upon returning from a 5 day isolation following a positive COVID-19 during Days 6 – 10 of their isolation period
- in the nurse's office, for individuals exhibiting symptoms of COVID-19
Handwashing and Respiratory Etiquette
WSWHE BOCES will:
- Teach and reinforce handwashing with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
- Remind everyone in the facility to wash hands frequently and assist young children with handwashing.
- Supply hand sanitizer for teachers, staff, and older students who can safely use hand sanitizer. Hand sanitizers will be stored up, away, and out of sight of young children and used only with adult supervision for children under 6 years of age.
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
WSWHE BOCES will maintain an appropriate supply of appropriate PPE and will provide PPE to staff and students as needed.
Additional Mitigation Strategies
- CDC recommends that all teachers, staff and eligible students be vaccinated and stay up to date with boosters.
- WSWHE BOCES will continue to promote vaccinations.
- Students or staff members who are symptomatic will be sent to the nurses office for an evaluation
- WSWHE BOCES will provide self-test kits to families and staff upon request as supplies are available from the state.
Daily cleaning and disinfection strategies
- All facilities will be cleaned daily.
- Areas where symptomatic/positive cases are presumed will be disinfected following occupancy.
- Classrooms will be provided with additional cleaning/disinfecting supplies for staff use during the day.
- Shared occupational therapy and physical therapy equipment, classrooms, desks, tools, etc. will be cleaned between use.
Notifications to Parents
- Parents will be notified if their child is exposed to a positive case of COVID-19
- Parents will be reminded to monitor their child for symptoms and to keep their child home when sick.
- Parents may request a test kit from their child’s principal.
Please contact the your child's principal if you have questions.
- Operational Guidance for K-12 Schools and Early Care and Education Programs to Support Safe In-Person Learning (CDC Guidance)
New York State: