Exceptional Learners Division » Itinerant and Related Services

Itinerant and Related Services

These are services recommended by the Committee on Special Education to meet the specific needs of a pupil with a disability. One or more of these services, including the frequency, type (direct or indirect) and duration of the service, must be specified in the Individual Education Plan (IEP) to initiate services. 

Specialized Itinerant Services are provided to districts on a shared basis. They can be purchased by districts on either a half-day or full-day basis. Some Specialized Itinerant Services may be purchased in 30-minute units [Related Services Only (RSO)] to accommodate a small number of students receiving the service.

Adaptive Physical Education

In the Adaptive Physical Education (APE) service, a certified physical education (PE) teacher who is knowledgeable of the program modifications needed for students with disabilities will provide: 

  • Collaborative teaching services
  • Consulting services
  • Modified or remedial programs
  • Self-contained classroom services

This service is appropriate for students who cannot safely or successfully engage in unrestricted activities of a regular PE program.  

Assistive Technology

Certified personnel will provide direct and indirect support services in the integration and use of assistive technology devices, materials, and strategies to students, educational teams, and families. 

Two levels of Assistive Technology Assessments are available to address a variety of student needs, as identified by the student’s local school district.

Blind and Visually Impaired

A certified teacher of the blind and visually impaired will provide direct and/or indirect services to visually impaired pupils and/or teachers and other professionals associated with the student to enable the pupils to be educated in the least restrictive environment. 

Direct services might include: 

  • Instruction in Braille
  • Use of magnifiers
  • Adaptations necessary for curricular support
  • Use of specialized computer equipment

Indirect services include: 

  • Conducting in-service
  • Adapting classroom materials
  • Acquiring Braille and large-print books
  • Maintaining up-to-date medical information from medical personnel

Deaf and Hard of Hearing

A certified teacher of the deaf and hearing impaired will provide direct services to hard of hearing pupils and consultation to teachers. This service enables the pupil to be educated in the least restrictive environment. Instructional services might include: 

  • Training in manual communication and lip reading
  • Reinforcement of reading and math skills
  • Reteaching of regular classroom content areas
  • Management of hearing aids and auditory trainers
  • Modification of curriculum and instructional strategies

Consultant Teacher

A consultant teacher provides direct and indirect services to school age students with disabilities. This consultant can assist regular education teachers to adjust the learning environment and/or modify instructional methods to meet individual student needs. They may also work collaboratively during instruction in the regular education classroom.   

Evaluation Services

These services are available for students with or without a disability. Depending on the area, staff spend up to half a day with the student, consulting with district staff, reviewing records and gathering information from parents. A report is also provided. 

  • Assistive Technology
  • Audiological (pure tone or CAP)
  • English as a Second Language*
  • Functional Vision
  • Occupational Therapy
  • Orientation and Mobility
  • Physical Therapy
  • Rehabilitation Teaching
  • Sensory Integration
  • Speech and Language

* English as a Second Language is not BOCES-aidable  

Occupational Therapy

A licensed Occupational Therapist (OTR-L) or Certified Occupational Therapy Assistant (COTA), under the supervision of an OTR-L, provides a wide range of adaptations and compensations that allow children to participate in educational tasks. Occupational Therapy services focus on: 

  • Fine motor skills
  • Visual-perceptual skills
  • Sensory integration
  • Functional living skills
  • Adaptive equipment

Physical Therapy

A licensed Physical Therapist (PT) or Physical Therapy Assistant (PTA), under the supervision of a PT, facilitates postural security and mobility so that children have the freedom to focus on educational tasks. PT services focus on: 

  • Balance
  • Coordination
  • Motor planning
  • Adaptive equipment
  • Physical handling
  • Architectural barriers

Rehabilitation Teaching

A certificated professional will instruct visually impaired students in skills relating to personal grooming and independent living, such as: 

  • Food preparation
  • Housekeeping
  • Money management
  • Clothing care
  • Eating
  • Completing applications
  • Budgeting

Speech and Language Services

A certified teacher of the speech and hearing handicapped provides evaluation, consultation and/or direct therapy to students with communication disorders such as impaired articulation, language impairment, or voice disorders. Such students may be classified as "speech impaired" and receive itinerant services.   

Social Work Services

The school social worker counsels students and consults with parents, teachers, and other school personnel concerning students who are experiencing adjustment problems and/or behavioral difficulties in school. 

The school social worker assists students in improving conditions that effect behavior, social adjustment, and performance in school. Social workers also assist in developing appropriate behavioral interventions.

Please contact us if you have any questions: